*Hours of Operation
Public access to Great Mountain Forest extends from sunrise to sunset. Please note that the forest is closed at times during hunting season – dates will be posted (GMF reserves the right to close the forest temporarily for safety, work, or environmental reasons)
*Forest Closure Notice
Except for Sundays, GMF will be closed to recreational users from November 18 to December 8, 2020. From Monday to Saturday during that time vetted and permitted hunters will be serving as wildlife monitors, keeping the deer population balanced. For your safety, please adhere to forest regulations.
PLEASE sign in and sign out
For your safety, and so we can know how many people are visiting the forest, please sign and out. If you would like to receive our e-news, please leave your email address and we will gladly add you to our list.
Respect the Forest Ecosystem
- Dogs are welcome, but must be leashed.
- GMF has no trash receptacles. If you pack it in, Please pack it out.
- Bicycles are welcome on roads and on designated trails. Off-road and off-trail riding is prohibited.
- Please be considerate of hikers and be safety conscious at all times.
- The collection of stones, soil, plant specimens, animal specimens, or cultural artifacts is prohibited.
- Motor vehicle access is limited to permit holders. If you think you have a compelling need for vehicle access, please apply at the Forestry Office (860-542-5422). All-Terrain Vehicles of any type (4WD off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, motorcycles, quads, etc.) are strictly prohibited.
- Norfolk residents with permits, and their guests, may use the public swimming area on Tobey Pond. All other swimming in ponds or streams is prohibited.
- GMF is a working forest; be alert and watch for trucks and other heavy equipment.
- Camping and Fires are prohibited. (For cabin use, contact the forestry office)
- Fireworks of any kind are prohibited.
- Horseback riding is prohibited.
- The Yale Camp is owned by Yale University and managed, on behalf of the Yale School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, by Great Mountain Forest. Written permission, from Yale University and Great Mountain Forest (Forestry Office), and appropriate insurance certification, are required of all Yale-Camp users. Unauthorized use of this property will be considered trespass.
- The use of firearms and archery equipment is prohibited. Rock-climbing, hang gliding, and other extreme sporting activities are prohibited.
Thank you for your cooperation.